Friday, April 15, 2011

Shot heard around the world....


“A bird does not sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song…” – Maya Angelou

I love writing music. Writing a song to me is like creating wind. I can let the breeze flow wherever I wish and let my melody dance through the trees. I say this to make a defining point: we all are songwriters in some way. There is a song, a message inside of you that is yours truly. Only you have the choice to share your heart with the world, letting your voice be your weapon.  


The video above is a remarkable preview into the life of a group that I have never heard of: the Mursi tribe. The Mursi are a nomadic group located in the Debub Omo Zone of Ethiopia, close to the Sudanese border. The home of the Mursi is one of the most isolated regions of the country. Olisarali Olibui, the narrator of the clip, saw a problem surrounding his people and knew he needed to do something to help. He saw something he loved, his land and his people, threatened by the face of extinction, and is doing all that he can to project his own song through the documentary “Shooting with Mursi”. Olibui took a camera into his tribe, capturing a true portrayal of his people, for the world to see. This brave leader said something in his clip that struck me:

“I found a new weapon, and I want to give my people a voice…the camera can shoot something and the camera bullets go all over the world…”

It amazes me that someone, who faces losing everything, developed a passion for his people, a voice to speak his message, and has a way to spread it. I am aware that I spoke of this subject in last week’s blog post, but I must emphasize again how useful YouTube is and how powerful our messages can be. True, life changing potential resides deep within each of us, but, too often we do not raise our voice.

Maria Andros, is an entrepreneur who encourages people, “regular” people like you and I to become a center of influence through online videos. This young CEO teaches small business owners how to make money though increasing their brand awareness online. She illustrates one’s growth with a couple of simple points:
  1. We each need to step out if we want change to transpire. There is a voice inside to be heard. 
  2.  This is your time to preform globally. Everyone fears getting on that stage and singing, however, the one thing keeping us from where we are to where we desire to be is fear.
Success, influence, and inspiration are so close to us. The world is at our fingertips. Each of us has so much potential to do anything, even change the world. Raise your voice, find out what you can use to create a shot heard around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment