Friday, April 8, 2011

One voice that becomes a hundred and then a thousand...


"We use Facebook to schedule the protests, Twitter to coordinate, and YouTube to tell the world."
-anonymous activist in Cairo

I remember a time when the only news I got was written on the front pages of the Odessa American. I remember a time when my only friends were those in close proximity to me. I remember a time when discovering and being involved in the world around me, within the click of a mouse, seemed absurd. And, finally, I remember a time, when I was 15 years old, and my eyes were opened to the world of YouTube. After seeing my first video, I was instantly hooked. I spent late hours on the interactive site, laughing and crying at videos while avoiding my days’ worth of homework…

YouTube has grown into a website where one can not only upload, share, and view videos, but connect. YouTube gives us a platform to tell the world what we’re thinking, feeling, experiencing, and doing in our daily lives. We now let people see who we are, where we are from, and what we are all about. We can grieve or laugh together, hate an airline together, and all sing-a-long to terrible songs such as “…its Friday, Friday…” This online stage is a place to connect, discover, and explore.  

Today, I was sifting through news, blogs, and videos for a topic to discuss. Through the searching I stumbled across a video that struck a chord in my heart.  This two-and-a-half minute video mirage was a part of the PR campaign strategy for the KrochetKids, a non-profit organization that provides jobs for women in Uganda by teaching them to crochet. The video only has 766 views, but is a great example of a creative PR approach for an organization. KrochetKids saw a problem, created a cause, and is sharing that cause with the world. Through YouTube, the whole world is able to become a part of their movement. The video the group uploaded is a compilation of clips from well-known American movies that inspire this message:
One voice that becomes a hundred and then a thousand…”



Through this organization, all one simply has to do is buy a hat, and directly change a life. Every handmade product is personally singed by the woman who made it, and, in addition, you are able to learn her story, thank her, and spread the word. Not only is this group on a mission to rise above poverty, but to inspire a generation about their true abilities to bring about change in a world that is in need.

I can only imagine where this non-profit organization would be without the easy accessibility of YouTube. Who would hear their message? With so many problems in the world, who would see their significance? Social media has given people the ability to project their message for all to hear. I will leave you with an ending quote that resonated with me from the KrochetKids video:

“Do or do not, there is no try….If we don’t come together we won’t have a future…”  

                           

5 comments:

  1. "We use Facebook to schedule the protests, Twitter to coordinate, and YouTube to tell the world."
    I really think that this quote wonderfully sums up the reality of the digital age that we live in. This post is really interesting--really shows how social media is being used for almost everything, with such a variety of topics and people involved. KrocketKids sounds really neat! It's wonderful to see that they are using social media to their advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that opening quote. It's sad just how true that is. All of those social media tools have become some of the most effective ways to spread news (and in this case, coordinate what will eventually be the news). I also think this is an awesome post because you make all those fun headbands, hats, and stuff! That's great that an organization is getting there name out there and making a difference. Youtube is a viral sensation in itself. It's amazing how videos like the Friday one have MILLIONS of views. It's nice to see a video that deserves views getting it's message out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for commenting ladies! Its means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that you did cool when you choose this topic of the blog article over here. Do you mostly compose your blog articles all by yourself or maybe you work with a partner or even a helper?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there. I actually do my posts on my own; no assistance. I appreciate you taking the time to read them! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete