Sunday, March 27, 2011

Man In The Mirror


“It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world." - Chaos Theory


Have you ever questioned your purpose in life? It seems impossible to not, at one point, dwell upon this question. I quite often think, “Why am I here? What am I even doing in life? Will I ever make a difference?” These thoughts cause me to tumble deep into a state of mind that I call mediocrity. In this this state, nothing will ever get done. Nothing will ever be achieved or accomplished unless I take the first step. This first step is life-changing. This first step, down the road, will help change someone’s life. This step is parallel to the small flutter of a butterfly’s wing. 

The Chaos Theory shows us that a small change, though a putative minute factor, can have large effects elsewhere in a system. Take, for example, a ball placed at the top of a hill. If one were to release it, the ball could potentially roll into several valleys, all dependent upon slight deviations of the initial position. To focus 
my point let me use a little bit of parallelism: YOU are the ball and LIFE is your mountain course. Each step you take changes something and makes a difference. So, to answer the opening questions: Will you make a difference? The answer to this question is, YES YOU CAN!! As we see through the butterfly effect, every action counts. 


I believe in living a life that is a catalyst for change in another’s future. How does one go about saving a life? We are but college students. We are not policeman, Oprah, the President, or ambassadors to a foreign country. We cannot give all of the money that we don’t have to a cause. We cannot fly to every conference in the country that evokes change in human rights. We most definitely cannot do this by ourselves. But…there is a light at the end of this tunnel. Let me tell you some things we can do.

We are bright, educated lights of the future. The future is now. We CAN make a difference. We CAN have our voice heard. We CAN work together to create a better tomorrow for someone who never thought the sun would rise again. Today is our first step.

     Get a passion. Get a burn for something. Get a love for a cause.

 In my previous blog I mentioned the lemons in life that are sitting in our hands. In the blog before that I created an equation for change: You + Your Computer + Internet = Social Change.

 

I know that this blog today didn’t really embrace social media…but in a way it does. You are reading this and being affected by the words that I am saying. I am using my blog to send you a message. Here is one thing you can do today that will be a part of the butterfly affect: use your blog to make a change. 

Michael Jackson, despite controversies, was a very inspirational man. His songs, music videos, and life are nothing less than a true inspiration. His song "Man In The Mirror" has a message: "if you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself then make a change."

No comments:

Post a Comment