Sunday, March 13, 2011

You + Your Computer + Internet = Social Change


“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending”
-Maria Robinson

On Thursday night I went to the viewing of the new Invisible Children campaign and began to ponder on my life. I began to think, what am I truly doing to make a change in this world? I do not wish to simply pass through having not touched someone’s life. This quote by Maria Robinson is applicable to every single person alive. There is no sense in trying to go back and change the past, but today we can create a new ending. I would like to create a new ending for someone else whose future looks grim.  These emotions and thoughts led me to consider social media and its roots in changing the world. Therefore I came up with a simple equation:
You + your computer + internet = social change
This equation can literally change the world that we live in. We live in a new era where we can and SHOULD all utilize the benefits of social media. Faster communication, networking, and so on can help spread a message. Social media is the medium for the 21st century “shot heard around the world.” Social media has, literally, allowed each individual to have an audience that we can influence. Looking at our reachable audience this way gives us somewhat of a responsibility. There are things that need to be exposed and spread in the world, and every single person reading this blog right now has the ability to do so. I read an article titled “10 Ways to Change the World through Social Media.” The article offered many options for each person to get engaged and cause a change. I encourage each person to take some time out and read the article. The simple to ask yourself is “do I want to change the world?” There are people that need help, even within our own country. What are you willing to do? 



2 comments:

  1. Great post! I completely agree with you! We have the capabilities of doing so much but so many of us do nothing. I think we can all definitely take advantage of the things we have to make a difference for the people in this world that don't have such opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex,

    Sorry I never got back to your comment. Im still trying to get the swing of the blogging world. I appreciate you reading my post, its good to see that someone reading this agrees.

    ReplyDelete